Welcome parents! As we work to build out this brand new parent resource center, please know that you can email us any time at MBMusicCoalition@gmail.com. We’d be delighted to hear from you!
Manhattan Beach public schools offer music education beginning in elementary school. Third grade students participate in dedicated general music classes, which includes introductory instruction in band, choir and strings. Fourth and fifth grade students receive music performance instruction in their selected concentration (band, choir or strings). Find out more about the elementary programs at:
Students are able to continue their music studies through elective offerings at Manhattan Beach Middle School. Find out more about the middle school music program at:
Mira Costa High School is home to the Grammy Award winning MCHS music program. Students electing to take music courses receive advanced music instruction. Elective options include assessment-based band, choir and orchestra classes, as well as PE credit classes such as Marching Band & Colorguard, Winterguard and Indoor Drumline. Find out more about Mira Costa’s musical arts offerings at:
The website ManhattanBeachMusic.org also has a wealth of information about music programs in MBUSD.
If you are looking to purchase an instrument, but need tips or a referral to a reliable merchant, please email us at MBMusicCoalition@gmail.com. We are happy to share any information we have on how to determine which instrument is right for your student, the types of considerations you may need to think about, as well as our list of Merchant Supporters and Community Partners. Please include details such as your student’s grade level and the type of instrument you’d like to buy.
If you are in the market for an instrument, you may find this article helpful. Its contents are universally agreed upon by the MB music educator community.
For guidance in cleaning or disinfecting an instrument, please see this link.
Introducing the Instrument Marketplace! If you have a gently used instrument that needs a good home, or are looking to purchase an instrument and would like information to assist you, we are here to help! Email Janet at MBMusicCoalition@gmail.com, with the details of what you are looking to buy or sell.
Parents can face particular challenges when music class moves from school to home. We hope the resources below are helpful to you.
If you are looking for referrals to private instructors to bolster your student’s musical education, we are happy to share our list of Instructors, Supporters, and Community Partners. Please email us at MBMusicCoalition@gmail.com. Please include details such as the instrument your student plays and their grade level.
Virtual Arts & Education Resources
- All of Bach (Netherlands Bach Society) – https://www.bachvereniging.nl/en/allofbach
- Angel City Chorale Online Videos – https://angelcitychorale.org/about/videos/
- Arkansas Symphony Orchestra Virtual Events – https://www.arkansassymphony.org/video
- Art Institute of Chicago Virtual Tour – https://www.artic.edu/visit-us-virtually
- Atlanta Symphony Orchestra on YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/user/atlantasymphony
- Berlin Philharmonic Digital Concert Hall – https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/home
- Boston Symphony Orchestra At Home – https://www.bso.org/brands/bso/at-home.aspx
- The British Museum Virtual Tour – https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/the-british-museum
- Chicago Symphony Orchestra From Home – https://cso.org/cso-from-home/latest/
- Colorado Symphony Orchestra – Virtual Stage
- Dali Theatre-Museum Virtual Tour – Dali Virtual Tour
- Des Moines Symphony Orchestra At Home – https://dmsymphony.org/dmso-at-home/
- The Florida Orchestra Live Stream Events – https://thefloridaorchestra.vhx.tv
- Google Art Project – https://artsandculture.google.com
- Great Wall of China Virtual Tour – https://www.thechinaguide.com/destination/great-wall-of-china
- Houston Symphony – Listen at Home
- Illinois Symphony Orchestra – Virtual Holiday Concert
- Kansas City Symphony – Family Learning at Home
- Kentucky Symphony Orchestra Video Content – https://kyso.org/category/video/
- LA Phil Watch & Listen – https://www.laphil.com/about/watch-and-listen
- Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra – Watch & Listen – https://www.youtube.com/lpomusic
- The Louvre Online Tours – https://www.louvre.fr/en/visites-en-ligne#tabs
- Metropolitan Museum of Art Virtual Tour – https://www.metmuseum.org/art/online-features
- Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra Virtual Season – https://www.mso.org/concerts/packages/series-list/
- Minnesota Orchestra At Home – https://minnesotaorchestra.org/blog
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Animal Cams – https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals/live-cams
- Montreal Symphony Orchestra (Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal) – Watch & Listen
- Museum of Modern Art – https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/moma-the-museum-of-modern-art
- Musical Instrument Museum Virtual Education Programs – https://mim.org/virtual-education-programs/
- Nakturne Inc Remote Performances – Nakturneic YouTube Channel
- NASA Virtual Tours – https://www.nasa.gov/nasa-at-home-virtual-tours-and-augmented-reality
- National Gallery of Art Virtual Exhibitions – https://www.nga.gov
- National Museum of the US Air Force Virtual Tour – Virtual Tour Visit
- National Women’s History Museum – Virtual Fieldtrips & Oral Histories
- New Mexico Philharmonic – Digital Performances
- New York Metropolitan Opera On Demand – https://www.metopera.org/season/on-demand/
- New York Philharmonic Plays On – https://nyphil.org/watch-listen
- North Carolina Symphony Orchestra Virtual Education Programs – https://www.ncsymphony.org/virtual/
- Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra – Front Row Virtual Concerts
- Portland Symphony Orchestra – Education Everywhere
- Road Scholar Travel – Virtual Trip Packages
- San Diego Symphony – Symphony Stream
- San Diego Zoo Live Cams – https://animals.sandiegozoo.org/live-cams
- San Francisco Symphony – From Hall to Home
- Seattle Symphony – Seattle City Live Remote Concerts
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History Explore at Home – https://naturalhistory.si.edu/explore-at-home
- Songs of Comfort by Yo-Yo Ma (on YouTube) – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHWa5v6bbSxpns7mUfC3e5g
- Steppenwolf Theater Virtual Workshop – https://www.steppenwolf.org/education/virtual-workshops/
- Street Art Virtual Tours – https://streetart.withgoogle.com/en/
- Toronto Symphony Orchestra – Virtual Watch Parties – https://www.tso.ca/watchparty
- Vancouver Symphony Orchestra – YouTube Channel – https://www.youtube.com/user/VancouverSymphony
- Vatican Museums Virtual Tour – http://www.museivaticani.va/content/museivaticani/en/collezioni/musei.html
- Vermont Symphony Orchestra YouTube Channel – https://youtu.be/9ZS3OEH7Bb8
- Versailles Virtual Tour – https://artsandculture.google.com/project/versailles
- Vienna Opera Live at Home – Live At Home Schedule
- Virginia Symphony Orchestra Music Learning Lab – https://virginiasymphony.org/learninglab/
If there is a particular issue that has come up in your home that you’d like help with, please email us at MBMusicCoalition@gmail.com and we will find the resources, help or information you need.
Parent mentoring, connection, quick tips, referrals and information on practical matters such as concert clothes, how the music booster clubs work, and how you can get involved will be coming soon to this space. In the meantime, we’re pleased to offer a variety of resources below concerning music education in Manhattan Beach.
The Benham Report
Read the report prepared by national expert, Dr. John Benham, “Music in the Manhattan Beach Unified School District” (April, 2020) – Download or View Here
MBUSD’s Arts Education Plan
Read MBUSD’s “Arts Plan” approved by the Board on May 16th, 2007 – Download or View Here
- California Arts Framework for Music (May, 2020) – Download or View Here
- California Arts Framework – Vision & Goals (May, 2020) – Download or View Here
- California Arts Standards for Public Schools (January 9, 2019) – Download or View Here
- California VAPA Standards – Download or View Here
- LA County’s Blueprint for Arts Education – Download or View Here
Declaration of Student Rights
- Declaration of the Right of All Students to Equity in Arts Learning, unanimously adopted by the LA County Board of Supervisors in April of 2017 – Download or View Here
- Adoption of LA County’s Regional Arts Blueprint – Download or View Here
- California Alliance for Arts Education – https://www.artsed411.org
- California Arts Council – https://arts.ca.gov
- LA County Department of Arts & Culture – https://www.lacountyarts.org
- LA Arts Alliance – http://www.laartsalliance.org
- Los Angeles County’s Arts Ed Collective – https://www.lacountyartsedcollective.org
- National Association for Music Education – https://nafme.org
Hear Andrea Custer chat on the Jason for MBUSD podcast about the role music education plays in our schools, and how it is a positive, long lasting effect on many levels for students. Listen now: iTunes | Spotify
Discover the science linking brain health and music in this overview course offered by The Great Courses: Music and the Brain.